Pros – Advantages of Waxing
There are a number of benefits to waxing, which explain why it is so enduringly popular:
- Fast and effective – waxing really can remove large amounts of hair quickly – even men’s backs or chests can be quickly treated.
- Long-lasting – hair in waxed areas will not grow back for 2-8 weeks. This can save a considerable amount of time compared to daily shaving.
- Treats at the root – so hair grows back softer than with certain other hair removal methods. When shaving, the end of the hair is blunted, so can feel rougher when growing back. Depilatory cream also removes hair at the skin’s surface, so a stubble can appear within a few days. Waxing pulls the hair from the root, so skin is smoother for longer.
- Softer regrowth – repeated waxing over long periods of time tends to result in softer, sparser regrowth in the long term.
- Economical – compared to laser or electrolysis, waxing is a cheaper option per session. This is due to there being no expensive equipment for the salon to invest in or maintain and the relatively quick time it takes to carry out the treatment.
Cons – Disadvantages of Waxing
- Pain/discomfort – waxing can hurt when it’s pulled off the skin. The discomfort is short and sharp, so it doesn’t last, but can be unpleasant.
- Cost – waxing may be cheaper than laser, but it is not a permanent solution to hair removal. Treatment will need to be repeated every few weeks to maintain the result and the costs do add up.
- Skin irritations – waxing can leave the skin a bit sore, especially with thicker hair or the first few times when follicles are strongest.
- Ingrown hairs – regrowth after waxing can involve some ‘ingrown’ hairs, leading to bumpy skin.
- Waiting – waxing can only be done when there’s a certain amount of hair ready to remove, so clients do have to wait for enough regrowth before having another session. It can be annoying and a bit embarrassing, many people choose to cover up underarms or legs by wearing sleeved tops or trousers in the final stages of regrowth.
- Embarrassment – something that many people really do worry about if they’re having a more intimate treatment, like bikini wax, for the first time.
For those looking for longer term results, laser hair removal is the ultimate treatment. This uses laser energy to destroying the hair follicle’s ability to grow new hair, thereby preventing future regrowth so that the skin appears soft, smooth and hair free.
While this may be more expensive per appointment, a course of treatment generally stops at 6 sessions, so in the long run, it can be a good investment.